Give Us a Call: (740) 393-5247
Kenyon College came here in the early days of Knox County, and for nearly 200 years has maintained a distinguished standard for higher education in the United States.
Both sides of Marker #7-42 read:
"Kenyon College, Pioneer in Higher Education"
"The state's oldest private institution of higher education, Kenyon College was founded in 1824 in Worthington by Philander Chase, first Episcopal bishop of Ohio, and relocated to Gambier four years later. Both college and village are named for British benefactors, statesman Lord Kenyon and naval hero Lord Gambier. Throughout its history, Kenyon has prepared men and women for leading roles in society, including nineteenth-century graduates Edwin M. Stanton, Abraham Lincoln's secretary of war, and Rutherford B. Hayes, Ohio governor and U.S. president. In the twentieth century, Kenyon educated such literary luminaries as poet Robert Lowell and novelist E.L. Doctorow. Kenyon has also been an innovator in education-the Advanced Placement Program began as the Kenyon Plan in the 1950s."
The Marker is located at the southwest corner of Wiggin Street at Chase Avenue.
The address is:
Gambier, OH 43022
Latitude / Longitude
40.375869 ° / -82.397366 ° CLICK HERE FOR MAP
Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Kenyon College, and The Ohio Historical Society
875 Harcourt Road
Mount Vernon, OH 43050
Phone No. : (740) 393-5247